Where is The Photo Shed Academy?
We are based in the centre of the Cape Whale Coast, South Africa, only 115km from Cape Town. Our photographic studio, gallery and dark room are located in a quaint seaside town, the ‘Whale Watching Capital of the World’, and this is where the magic happens!
What does the Internship Program look like?
- There are 4 Internship Programs of 12 weeks each per year
- Each 12 week Internship Program is divided into 6 Blocks (2 weeks per Block) of 2 Modules (1 week per Module) each
- You can join at the start of any Block within the 12 week program and run from one program into the next to complete the 12 weeks
What does the program offer?
An internship with us provides you with the opportunity to be mentored by, and work closely with global experts in the photo, video, journalistic and creative fields. This unique program gives you hands-on experience to learn photography, videography, editing techniques, visual content creation and skills to enhance your creative abilities on all the digital platforms.
There will be weekly meetings with Accredited SA Pro Photographers and writers who are fluent in the specific modules. You will receive support and guidance throughout the program from industry leaders. An intern mentor will guide your project and help you to output your completed projects.
How long is the program?
The complete program is 12 weeks, and you can stay for a minimum of 2 weeks.
When can I join?
The program commences in January 2020. See arrival and departure dates in red on the Calendar.
When must I book my flights?
Each block starts every 2 weeks and we run airport transfers to and from Cape Town International Airport every second Sunday – at the start and the end of every block.
What does a typical week and day look like?
Our days start at 08:00 and finish at 17:00, Monday to Friday, and may include sunrise and sunset sessions. Some days will be studio based and other days location based.
What will I leave with?
- An online portfolio to showcase your work.
- Information from industry experts.
- A certificate of completion after each Module.
- An opportunity to sell your images and videos through The Photo Shed.
- A network of people to support you through your journey.
Do I require any skills prior to joining the program?
Whether you are a student, a hobbyist or a professional photographer, the program will provide you with exciting new skills. All you require are:
- A basic understanding of photography
- An understanding of social media platforms
- How to navigate your way around your computer
Are there any physical requirements?
You must be able to carry your own camera gear and cope with walking short distances to photography locations to enjoy the activities of the program.
What Language is the program delivered in?
Is there an age limit?
As long as you are older than 18, and younger than 100!
What Equipment do I need to bring?
- Your camera gear, laptop, all chargers and storage backup.
We supply tripods and have gear available to rent. We also sell all makes of cameras and accessories.
How do I apply?
Complete the Booking Form via the Booking and Enquiries button on the main page.
What is the cost?
- $890.00 per person per week.
- Stay for more than 4 consecutive weeks and pay only $840.00.
- Stay for more than 8 consecutive weeks and pay only $790.00.
- Bring a friend or refer a friend and receive a 5% discount each.
What is Included?
- Accommodation with breakfast, linen and house cleaning services.
- Airport transfers.
- Workshops run by Accredited SA Professional Photographers and other experts.
- In Module 10 the tour includes all accommodation, breakfast, transport and instruction.
- Transport between The Intern House and The Photo Shed, as well as transport to all workshops related activities/locations.
- A South African SIM card with 250 MB data loaded to get you started.
- Tripods, lights and microphones for use during the program.
What is excluded?
- Lunch, dinner, snacks and refreshments.
- Night-time, weekend, and any non-program related activities and entrance fees.
- Camera and computer equipment (you are welcome to hire these should you need).
- Personal laundry. A laundry service is available at an extra cost.
- Additional transport outside of workshop times and for non-program related activities.
- Emergency medical evacuations.
- Visas, medical and travel insurance.
- All Flights.
How do I pay?
We accept Bank Transfer and banking details are sent through once you have completed the application form.
Where will I stay?
The Intern House is situated in Onrus, a quiet seaside town in the centre of The Cape Whale Coast.
- The house is neat, well maintained and offers a kitchen, beautiful garden, barbecue and swimming pool.
- There is free wifi at the house, and a TV in the lounge and dining room area.
- Linen and cleaning services are provided.
- Breakfast is provided.
Private accommodation is available upon request.
Is there internet access?
Yes, at the Intern House and at The Photo Shed Academy.
What if The Photo Shed Academy has to cancel?
In the rare event that we have to cancel the programme for any reason whatsoever, a full refund will be issued on Internship Programme Fees paid to date. Additional expenses such as flights should be covered by your travel insurance, and we will provide all relevant documentation.
How much spending money do I need?
You will need a basic living budget of between $120 and $150 per week. Shopping, activities, entertainment and weekend spending will be additional.
Do I need Travel andMedical Insurance?
Yes. Both are compulsory and need to cover all eventualities. You will be required to provide insurance details to us.
How do I get to The Photo Shed Academy and the Intern House?
Airport transfers between Cape Town International Airport and Onrus are provided on every second Sunday, in line with Block start and finish dates. Our driver will meet you at the airport.
How will I get around once in Onrus?
Local taxi services can be used in the evenings and on the weekends for personal journeys. We provide these details upon request.
Do I need a visa and vaccinations?
Finding out about, and complying with visa and vaccination requirements are entirely your responsibility. No Internship Program refunds will be given if you are returned from either airport.
Do I need Malaria tablets?
- No, South Africa is a malaria free area.
- However, if you go to Botswana, Mpumalanga or other bush areas you will need to find out about the recommended tablets and vaccinations.
Is there a hospital nearby?
There is a private hospital within 10 minutes drive from both the Intern House and The Photo Shed Academy.
What is the security like at the Intern House, The Photo Shed and on location ?
- All details pertaining to security will be carefully discussed with each intern prior to commencement of the Internship.
- The Intern House is set in a quiet suburb where no major crimes have been reported.
- Both locations have alarm systems and are linked to security companies with panic buttons in each room.
- We only visit locations that we know well, and we do not go to unsafe areas.
- Our driver is familiar with all locations and ‘keeps an eye out’ to add extra vigilance.
- The instructors do not take photos during these workshops and are thus also vigilant.
What behaviour do we expect?
Courteous and respectful interactions with fellow interns and staff at all times.
How will we communicate with the team during the program?
You will be added to the The Photo Shed Academy Whatsapp group where all of the daily communication will take place.
Are there any rules I should know about?
Once booked you will receive a set of house and program rules. A few important rules to note:
- We have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy to drug use and if suspected The Photo Shed retains the right to test with a medical professional.
- Alcohol can be consumed within reason after hours and not during the Workshops.
- The Photo Shed retains the right to dismiss the person/s immediately.
What happens at the weekend and at night?
You are free to explore as you please (other than during Module 10 when you will be on a Photo Tour). If you leave the house for an evening or weekend you will be required to sign out/complete a leave form.
What opportunities are there to travel and explore the local area and the rest of South Africa?
During weekends you will be free to explore the local area and it’s abundance of attractions. A Big Cat sanctuary, whale watching and ocean based excursions, hiking trails in the mountains, great restaurants and shops… all on your doorstep. The City of Cape Town is only 115km away and offers some of the world’s top tourist attractions. For the adventurous there are numerous opportunities to choose from; cycling, mountaineering, kite surfing, swimming in mountain pools, rock climbing and abseiling – to name a few!
The Photo Shed Academy also offers uniquely designed travel packages which are all inclusive. Our 3 add-on tours are ADDO ELEPHANT PARK & JEFFREYS BAY, THE GARDEN ROUTE and CAPE TOWN & THE WINELANDS.
If you are interested in these please contact us at email@example.com we will send you more information.
Who do I contact for more information?
WhatsApp:Hannelie Perrin on +27 (0) 64 708 2259
We aim to get back to you within 24 hours. Please bear in mind that we may be in different time zones and therefore a response might not be immediate.